There is not much evidence that the Romans actually occupied the town, though there was possibly a small fort at Walton and there were certainly a number of villas peppered around the immediate areas.
Aylesbury is notable as being the resting place of Saint Osyth and the grave attracted pilgrims from wide and far.
Aylesbury’s first settlers were probably Iron-Age Celts, who favoured hilltop locations for their forts, and remains of their time in the area were unearthed in excavations undertaken near the town centre during 1985.
Plenty of other Iron-Age and Bronze-Age artefacts have been found at other locations in and around the town, giving evidence of its ancient origins.
A pioneering archaeologist, geologist, folklorist and philologist, he remains best known for his book Close to the station is a fine example of a single arched packhorse bridge.
Dating from the late 14th century and long known as Castle Bridge (Danby castle itself is a short distance uphill from here), it has been called Duck Bridge after the well-respected local stonemason George Duck, who restored it in the 18th century.
Situated about 41 miles from London and to the north-west of that city, Aylesbury expanded mostly due to the need for housing to cater for the London overspill during the 1960's and early 1970's. In Saxon times Aylesbury would have just been a small settlement and it remained a small village for many centuries.
Population: Town: 57,840 - Urban: 70,273 - Vale: 174,900 Post Code: HP19 - HP21 Location: Central Buckinghamshire. 'Aeglesburh' roughly translates as "Fort of Aegel", though it is not certain exactly who Aegel was.Incorporating Saxon and Norman remains, the church has developed organically. The nave was rebuilt in 1789, the gallery in 1806 and a chancel that dates from 1848. Replacement bus pick-up point:on the main road, at the junction with the station road.The churchyard contains several listed tombs and headstones. The new service, Moors Plus (MP) runs Saturday & All Mondays is sponsored by Transpennine Express.This runs from York and Pickering up to Danby Station and the Moors Centre via The North York Moors National Park have obtained funding for a five year project to protect and highlight the fascinating history behind the Iron Stone mining.It was the home of Katherine Parr, who became the sixth wife of Henry VIII.